The Department of Building Inspections is to ensure maintenance of buildings and structures and to adequately protect the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the Township of Stafford, Eagleswood, Surf City, Harvey Cedars and Beach Haven. This is achieved by enforcing all codes adopted by the State of New Jersey Uniform Construction Code and act as a liaison to other agencies such as F.E.M.A., C.A.F.R.A, Pinelands, D.E.P., State and County Departments of Health, Bureau of Water Allocation, NJ Bureau of Rooming and Boarding, NJ Department of Children and Families for Child Care Operators, NJ Home Warranty Program, Ocean County Soil and Sediment Conservation Districts, Atlantic City Power Company, NJ Natural Gas Company, other Stafford Township Departments, Township Engineer and Stafford Ordinances.
Robert A. Gaestel, Jr
Construction Official, Building, Fire, Plumbing Inspector, Chief Housing Inspector, Damage Assessment Coordinator, Member of Stafford Township Community Rating System (CRS) Program as a Certified Floodplain Manager, Member of New Jersey Natural Gas “Partners in Safety” Program.
- Provide and review application including prior approvals
- Determine required fees; collection of penalties and ensure funds are properly accounted for
- Issue construction permits upon receiving the approval of subcode officials
- Assign daily all required inspections and ensure they are performed in three business days and recorded, completed and properly filed
- Issue Certificate of Occupancy upon approved receipt of required agencies and/or subcode officials
- Prepare and obtain reports
- Attend required meetings and hearings
- Comply with local procedures required by the governing body
- Initiate appropriate disciplinary action in the case of any subcode official or inspector to properly enforce the Uniform Construction Code
- Perform building, fire, plumbing and housing inspections when needed
- Issue Continuing Certificate of Occupancy (rental/resale property)
Building & Fire Subcode Official, Damage Assessment Team, Stafford Township Volunteer Fire Department-Associate Member
Electrical Subcode Official, Building Inspector, Damage Assessment Team, StaffordTownshipVolunteer Fire Department-Associate Member
Plumbing Subcode Official, Fire Inspector, Damage Assessment Team
Building & Fire Inspector, Housing Inspector, Damage Assessment Team
Electrical & Building Inspector, Housing Inspector, Damage Assessment Team
- Comply with time limitations for inspections, review plans and applications in his subcode for approval and release to the Construction Official for permit issuance
- Review requests for variations as necessary and issue Notice of Violation for non-compliance of codes and standards
- Ensure all required inspections are performed in three business days and recorded.
- Assist the construction Official in the preparation of reports and attend meetings and hearings as required
- Issue documentation and certification, (such as cut-in cards to utilities) and to public agencies if required
- Assist applicants at the counter and phone, take inspection requests, give general information on the permit process and status and return all voice mail messages received after hours
- Process permits, certificate of occupancy and approvals for Stafford & Eagleswood
- Enter monies and generate daily and monthly reports
- Maintain and organize files
- Type letters as directed by Construction Code Official or Inspectors and send reminders letters old permit holders requiring final inspection
- Input inspection results for five different municipalities.
- Assemble daily inspection logs and file.
It is the responsibility of the Department of Inspections to review and release construction plans, inspect all phases of construction (new construction and alterations to existing structures), including electric, mechanical, plumbing, fire and building; backflow prevention devices to protect the public water system; public swimming pools; housing inspection for resale and rental properties. The Department is also involved in other activities such as plan reviews for schools located in other municipalities; emergency management damage assessment in the event of a disaster; resolve complaints and enforce Floodplain regulations.